Thursday 28 April 2016

3 months on...

29 April 2016: 3 months post op

It is Autumn now and three months ago I had a total replacement of my right knee. 

As I was walking into the swimming pool this morning I was greeted by a nice older man in his 80s who I chat to when we are in the gym on our exercycles. He is waiting for a knee replacement but can't get on the public waiting list for the operation and he doesn't have health insurance. He called out to me cheerily and said how well I was walking and what a difference he could see in me since the surgery. He said "your whole face looks 10 years younger without the pain you had before". 

It was a great way to start the day and a good start to reflecting on progress to date. Three months on:
- I am walking around the house without any crutches. I still use walking poles when I go out for dog walks with Lewis. I can easily walk 3-5km a day. 6km is still a bit too far.

- I am moving well except when tired I tend to limp - but the walking poles help keep me on an even keel
the post op swelling and bruising has reduced significantly and the scar has healed well but is still creepily warm to touch


- the pain is much reduced. I get a deep kind of bone pain in my right thigh when I have overdone things. I still find it hard to stand still and chat to people - I need to keep moving rather than stand in one place 
-  my new knee hair regrowth is rampant
-  my walking and cycling in the gym is getting speedier and my I am able to do more complex and vigorous aquajogging. I can easily cycle 7km but 9 km is at present, too far  
- my cooking is improving - I have even managed to cook a couple of meals for friends. I tried less ambitious dishes that I could pre-prepare and that worked out well
- I can sleep through the night without pain
- I can get up off the toilet without having to lever myself up using the walls. (This is great progress!)
- some days I feel like I could dance!

I had a visit with my surgeon on Tuesday this week. He was also really positive about my progress. I had been feeling a bit disheartened that I am not fully able to enjoy the benefits of the new bionic knee because of the arthritis in my left knee gets sore when I get too active. He said he was expecting me to say that - given that my left knee is also very arthritic. He said that my new right knee would take another 6-12 months to get into peak condition. I should expect to still feel the bone pain and also the heat from the scar for quite a few more months. But that over time the new knee would become the dominant knee and reduce the strain on the left knee... So here's hoping!

I also really hope that my 80 year old gym buddy also gets a chance to have his knees replaced and that he has the chance to sleep through the night and to enjoy life again.



No comments:

Post a Comment