Thursday 3 November 2016

I am off to see the Wizard

....The wonderful wizard of knees!

4 November 2016: Total knee replacement on my left knee

Feeling apprehensive but somewhat reassured given that I know what to expect from the process after having my right knee replaced in January.

My bag is packed. I have the spare bed all made up with lovely fresh bed linen. Have spent the morning distracted and unable to think in complete sentences.
Have taken a photo of my knees (I knew my blog readers would demand one ;-) )

The left leg is a lot slimmer than the right knee but has a lot of lumpy fluid surrounding the knee cap. My left knee has been a trouper and helped me manage the recovery of my right knee and has done well over the last nine months. But it has become really obvious that the left knee can't keep up - and this has knock on effects with my hair and the lopsided way I have been walking, badly affects my hips. So - I know I am making the right choice.

Got to the hospital and have had my bloods taken (but it took three people to find my veins). BP sky high as you can imagine. Now dressed for success in the surgical gears ( yes Di - the paper panty
 shot is just for you).
I have had an ECG  and wiped myself down with wet cloths.  A few more hours to wait before surgery. It already seems like it has been a very long day.

It has been lovely to get kind wishes and thoughts from friends and family - thanks everyone - it is great to have your support and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment