Saturday 4 February 2017

One year on...

5 February 2017: One year post-op Right knee replacement - 3 months post-op Left knee replacement

What an amazing year! 
I was just looking back at my activity log on my phone.

One year ago it would have been impossible to walk 10,000 steps a day. 

Actually even four months ago it would have been an epic undertaking. It is interesting to see how after the first knee replacement I became quite active. After three months I was able to walk 3-5kms a day.  But then my left knee became harder to use - more worn out - and then my walking activity slumped.  

Since the November total knee replacement on my left knee,  I am powering up and I am now walking 5-7kms a day. I still tend to use my walking poles when I go out for a dog walk as I find that when I get a bit tired my hips tend to get sore and I go back to limping. Despite that, I sleep well, I have cut back on the pain killers and the swelling and bruising has gone. I don't have the post surgical bone pain I had with the first operation and the left knee isn't as hot to touch as the right knee used to be at 3 months post-op.

(I had to have a knee photo 😄).

Last Monday I went to visit the surgeon. He was pretty impressed that I now have full range of motion in both legs with 125 degrees bend. 

I told him that a number of people had commented that I now seemed taller - he wasn't surprised and he flicked back to the x-Ray's and showed me how much my knees were deformed and why I would have had to stoop so much. He said that it will take about a year for my ankles and hips to get used to my new upright way of walking - so using the walking poles will help retrain my body and improve my posture. 

He also encouraged me to hit the cycle paths and get out on my bike again. I can't wait until the summer heat abates a little and then it will be lovely to be out cycling. I am still finding it hard walking uphill and climbing stairs - but as my quads get back into shape from the cycling, these activities should be easier.

The best thing about the visit was he has "discharged" me - he said he doesn't need to see me again. 

At first, I was quite surprised, I thought I would have an annual check-up or something. But then, I  felt an amazing sense of freedom! 

I now feel like I have left behind so much of the pain, disability and difficulty and that my life as a regular person (a non-patient) has begun.



1 comment:

  1. Total knee replacement surgery surgery can restore your mobility, but you don't want to get one too soon—or wait too long.If arthritis in your knee is keeping you from doing everything you want, whether that's walking the dog or playing a game of tennis, you may be considering a knee replacement. If so, you have lots of company. An estimated 720,000 people undergo one annually, and almost 5% of women over 50 are sporting prosthetic knees. A knee replacement may seem like the ideal solution for restoring your mobility and preserving your independence.

    ReplyDelete