Saturday 26 March 2016

Eight weeks at Easter

T26 March 2016: 8 weeks post op

I have felt really great these last few days. This week I have had a few long walks and have been busy with work and planning my trip to England next week.

On Wednesday we went for a beach walk. It seems like more than a year since  I walked on the beach and it was great to    be on the sand and to breathe wonderful sea air. I took my walking poles and was able to go for about 2 km.
Lewis also had a great time bouncing around and chasing sticks.

Today we had a fun walk with Lewis's mother and brother. This was the first time we had walked with them and it was quite boisterous and full-on.
It was the first time I have been for a walk  with people who didn't know I have had a knee replacement. Although I had my walking poles I didn't feel as if I walked too slowly or was noticeably disabled. Peter has also observed in the last few days that I am no longer limping and I haven't been using my crutches much. I have been back into my working routines and not resting or sitting down during the day.

It has taken quite a lot of background organising to get things sorted for my trip next week. I had to get a doctor's certificate to say I was fit for travel. This information was required by the travel Insurer and also by Jetstar. I also had to be "medically assessed" by the travel insurer for my "pre-existing condition" - ie my new knee. I was asked a series of formulaic questions and then told that for an extra $75 the insurer would cover me for any issues related to the knee. What they didn't tell me was that they also charged me another $50 to do the assessment. What a cheek!

I have also arranged to be wheelchaired through the airports. It seems that all airlines are quite happy to make these arrangement of you ask. Since the recent tragic attack at Brussels airport, I am guessing that the transit through airports is going to involve even more delays - so I think the wheelchairs will be a saviour.

I am also preparing myself to go "beep" as I go through the security alarms. I am guessing that my scar (which is healing well) will be a bit of a give away.

I have been really touched by how kind and helpful people have been making the travel arrangements for my trip; such as organising ground floor rooms and transfers from the airport etc. It has made the travel much less daunting.

I look forward to reporting on my knee related travel experiences next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment