Friday 4 March 2016

Seasonal changes

 5 March 2016 - 5 weeks post op

Summer has technically ended and the weather is starting to change. We have cooler mornings (around 8 degrees) with fantastic moody mist...but then the days continue to sparkle with hot hot days of about 28 degrees. 


Like the change in the seasons, the changes in my rehabilitation after five weeks, are subtle and stealthy.  

My leg now looks more normal. Even the strange indentation that appeared after the surgery (as seen on previous photos) 
has completely vanished.  In the photo below you can still see a slight dark area to the left of the scar but otherwise the skin is smooth and the scar is becoming less raw and red.

It is interesting to think about what has been happening beneath the surface.
Earlier this week I downloaded the X-rays of my implant. The X-rays show the gorgeous new implant and you can even see the little row of metal staples closing the wound.


I have been quite fascinated by these images and have begun thinking about how it is technically possible to make such massive cuts to the bone - with such precision - while keeping all my flesh and tendons out of the way of the power tools. Ok - it's a rather gruesome thought - but anyone who has done any wood work would have to admit it must be pretty awkward getting into the leg to make all those cuts and to rebate the implant.

To change the subject away from the technical proceeses involved in total knee replacements - I have been a bit more adventurous with my walking. Earlier this week Peter went out for a bike ride. So it seemed to me the perfect opportunity to try wandering down our drive to our dam.
As you can see from this Google map, it is quite a long drive - nearly 1km there and back-  and it is a relatively steep drive. But I managed to get there and back in about 45 minutes. 

This morning I also managed to walk the full distance around the dog park (approx 1.8km).  Slowly - but it progress is none the less. 

I have been to the pool every morning and have started a few more adventurous stretches, squats and exercises and as a result my calf and knee have been feeling more relaxed. And this has made sleeping much easier.  I have been much less wakeful and even had a bit of a sleep in until 6.30 one morning.

As you know, I like cooking and it has been a busy week harvesting our plums, apples, crab apples and pears. Peter and I have been boiling up cauldrons of fruit to stash away in the freezer to eat at a later date. I have been enjoying cooking with the gorgeous tomatoes and herbs from our garden. I still have to sit on a stool when I am cooking, and I can't manage anything too complex - but it is nice to be contributing to the household activities at a time when there is an abundance of produce that we have been nurturing and cultivating over the last few months and in the case of the fruit - years.

In between the harvesting we went to the movies (The Old Lady in the Van), watched the first series of The Legacy (Arvingerne) and the latest BBC series of Lewis, and met up with friends for lunch and coffees. I am also pleased to report that my driving stamina is improving. I drove for 90 minutes today without any problem.

One of the things that hasn't progressed is my ability to stand in queues or even stand and chat. We popped into a shop today and asked a question about a new freezer (to store all out fruit). The salesman was quite chatty and seemed to have a lot of time on his hands. He kept rushing around collecting booklets etc. Standing around leads to discomfort that just overwhelms me. I couldn't take it for more than 3-4 minutes and I had to go off and find somewhere to sit down. I probably should have taken my crutches into the store as they provide me with a bit more tolerance. I just wanted fast answers and no chitchat!  Peter often seems surprised when I just have to sit down after a minute or two when we are in the middle of having a chat or wandering around the house talking.  My need to sit down to stop my legs from hurting just overwhelmes me and I can't be polite about it.  I am also noticing that the arthritic pain in my left knee is becoming more noticeable as I increase my walking distances. I am hoping that as the musles in my new right knee build up they will provide some strength to counterbalance the weakness of the left knee.

Overall, it has been a lovely week.  I am looking forward to more slow and steady seasonal changes over the next week - both with my knee and in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment