Sunday 7 February 2016

Craving a bit on the side

7 February 2016: Day 10 post op.

The knee replacement handbook is quite clear and direct about some the "normal" activities I should and should NOT be contemplating.



I have installed myself in the spare room in a single bed. The room is really close to the bathroom and I don't feel bad about waking up Peter when I can't sleep for more than two hours at a time or I want to read through the night.  

I have arranged a huge jumble of different pillows around the bed so I can sit up or prop myself up or elevate my leg.  

Ever since I got back from surgery I have been sleeping in my back and I have pillows arranged so that I can't twist (cos it hurts and because I need to keep my keep as straight as possible). I also have a secret fear that when sleeping on my back I am snoring like a warthog... Hardly conducive to good relations. But - what I am craving is some normality.

Some of the advice in the handbook covers what should now be considered normal







Forget sex. What I would dearly love to be able to do is casually curl up and snooze on my side as I have for the last five decades.

I had a tentative attempt last night. But the bruising on my leg is still lumpy, bumpy, tender and sore. 

The other weird thing is that I used to crook my right leg when sleeping on my side. I guess that is because it hasn't straightened in the last five years. However last night my leg didn't feel right slightly bent. Another reason to abandon the experiment!

So...I am guessing I will be on my back for another week or two...

They don't mention any of this stuff in the handbook! Perhaps the next edition might ...

No comments:

Post a Comment