Tuesday 9 February 2016

Creeping with crutches #2



But wait - there is more- yes the list of helpful things continues....

5. The Lazyboy recliner

I bought my mother one of these chairs a few decades ago when she had her first knee replacement and she loved it. And we were impressed with how comfortable it is and went and bought some for ourselves.

I have placed a quilt my mother made me for Christmas on the seat as the leather gets kind of clingy in the heat and it is also softer on the inflamed skin of my leg. 

The chair has a built in footstool which elevates my feet and makes it great. I have also discovered I can push back into the chair and it is possible to sleep in the chair at night - useful instead of staying in bed when I can't stop thinking of turning over and sleeping on my side rather than my back (yes - it is becoming something of an obsessive thought especially in the middle of the night).

6. My mobile phone 
My trusty iPhone is my constant companion. Not just for taking colourful daily photos of my leg or talking to people, but I have also programmed in the times for taking my pills so I don't forget to take them. This was a great idea from my friend Heather. So now I don't forget to take my meds and I can keep the pain managed.

7 Velcro fastening sandals
I never thought I would be a cheerleader for Velcro shoes but these sandals have been great. You can see from the photo below just how much my foot and leg have billowed out. The sandals cope with the fluctuations in foot and ankle size really well.
The sandals are very sturdy (yet colourful)  and keep my feet safe and stable.

8 The covered coffee cup
As I mentioned in my previous blog, it is pretty difficult carrying things while using crutches - especially liquids that slop about. So it has been really good to dig this lidded coffee cup out of the back of the cupboard. It means I can take a cup of coffee to drink in my favourite chair :-)



9 The Canine Companion
Lewis is always fun to have around. Despite usually being a puppy lout, he has been surprisingly cautious and gentle. He accompanied me on my outdoor plods around the outside of the house and he regularly presents his favourite toys for my entertainment and enjoyment.  

On a couple of occasions he has carefully jumped onto my bed in the middle of the night and curled up tidily by my feet. He seems to know that I am tender and he generally acts with a great deal of caution when he is near me. but most of all - he is just great fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment