Saturday 6 February 2016

Enjoying the sunshine

6 February 2016

Since the last blog (post hospital visit), we have had gorgeous summer weather. In New Zealand it is a long summer weekend acknowledging our national day - Waitangi Day. We have all the doors and windows open and the the neighbourhood is full of bird song and the sound of children playing.

In addition to the wonderful  warm weather, on Saturday I noticed that I was beginning to rush to the loo more and more as the swelling from my leg has begun to slowly reduce. All that fluid had to go somewhere.... 

It is now just one week after the surgery. The flesh around my knee that was close to bursting has begun to feel more normal (apart from some more dense tight areas around the scar). I can now more easily perform the rehab stretches and excercises that were restricted by the swelling. The bruising has started to turn a more purple colour and is reducing. 

Another delight has been the burst of sunshine provided by my friends and family over the last week. After having found difficulty getting out and visiting people over the last year, I have been deeply touched by the kindness and love of my family and friends. 

Friends made the time to pop into the hospital to say hi and make me laugh. Fabulous people many of whom I hadn't seen in ages. Friends on Facebook and overseas have sent me positive and encouraging messages of love and support. Local friends have brought nourishment- cheese scones, gazpacho, wine, macarons,  plums, cherries, coffee, mineral water, beads, hot pot, flowers, books to read and -  most importantly - their time to come and talk and laugh. Others have phoned and sent emails.

Today my mother and I had a lovely day hanging out together - including going for a hilarious drive to the beach. Mum levered me into the back seat of her car. At one stage I lost balance and fell back onto the back seat with my legs flailing out the side door. We were both laughing helplessly!! 

Peter has been a tower of strength. He has been wonderfully kind, thoughtful and patient. And he is a great cook too.

I am feeling on the road to recovery, positive and optimistic and full of sunshine.

Thanks so much everyone xxx


2 comments:

  1. And the flowers look fab too. Pleased to hear the swelling is going down and moving is much easier. It's amazing what a difference a bit of time has on things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice flowers too. Good to see the swelling has reduced and movement increased.

    ReplyDelete