Sunday 14 February 2016

Good to GO!

15 February 2016:  17 days post op

I haven't been feeling great since the staples were removed last Thursday. My knee has been quite sore and still quite swollen. We have been staying on the Kapiti Coast since I was discharged but Peter and decided we were yearning to be home, so over the weekend we went home to Waipukurua to check on the chickens and to get back to normal.

Everything (especially the chooks) were fine and the weather was cool at night and plus 30 during the day.

We were only able to stay in Waipukurau for a few days because my GP wanted me to travel back to Wellington today to have my knee checked by the surgeon.

Early this morning we headed back for the three and a half hours drive to Wellington. We made it to the appointment with one minute to spare.

Because the swelling has made my leg hard to move, I was feeling a bit anxious about the appointment. 

No need. Peter, my surgeon, was delighted with my progress. He explained that the swelling is going to continue for the next 6 months. He was also very pleased with the wound.

My concerns over my flexibility were calmed. In fact he explained that I probably have 95 degrees of range of motion after two weeks. Apparently most people only achieve that range after 6 weeks. Peter also encouraged me to go swimming next week, start reducing the use of the crutches and  best of all - he said I could start driving again !!! Hurray!!! 

Peter made me promise that before I started driving, I would sit in the driver's seat with me eyes closed and check that I could move my foot into the correct pedals. He explained that he had significantly straightened my leg during surgery and my foot would be in a completely different place now and I would have to get used to using it differently.

So - great news. I don't feel confident enough to drive home tomorrow for 3 1/2 hours - I think I will build up by some small trips first. Perhaps my first visit to the Physio to start more rehab on Wednesday will be the ideal trial. 

A lot has happened in the past 17 days. It has been really strange to be so dependent and restricted. I have had a huge amount of support and help from Peter (my partner), my mother and friends over the last few weeks. It has been amazing! 

I am really looking forward to starting get back to a more normal routine back at the ranch  and beginning to stand on my own two feet. 

Watch this space...

2 comments:

  1. Good that you're able to access clinicians in why seems to be reasonable timeframes. Is that how you see it? Also good to have that reassurance. Chicks look tasty....I mean, in good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - yes clinicians have been responsive. Not sure if that is because I have privately funded care or because of the nature of my visit to ED - all have wanted to be completely sure that there was no infection.
      It has also been useful (from my point of view) to be able to email clinicians and send photos.

      Delete