Monday 1 February 2016

Hitting the road

2 February 2016

My stay at Wakefield had gone really well so I expected that the discharge arrangements would be just as professional. 

At about 7am it became pretty clear that the nurses were more interested in new patients than those departing.

It was ok that there was no one free to help me shower but it was very difficult getting into my clothes alone.  I had asked if the Physio could run through the walking exercises when Peter was there at 9.30. However they decided  at 8 am while breakfast was being served, that I should go and do my Physio exercises. So off I went to do more stair climbing then went back to finish breakfast and pack my bag. Then the surgeon came in and told me he was going to send me home with tramadol, paracetomol and aspirin - he would see me in 5 weeks.  A few minutes later the senior ward nurse came by and I asked her whether the meds should be continued to manage the arthritis in my left knee. She wasn't certain and checked and said - use aspirin,  NSAIDs, paracetomol and tramadol for break-through pain. I said I don't think that I should be taking aspirin with NSAIDs. So she grumped off and told me to wait.

At 9.45am a different nurse came back with a prescription and discharge papers. The prescription was for aspirin, tramadol and paracetamol. So I asked again what was intended. I was told we were back to the first plan for two weeks. Then back to the NSAIDS after 2 weeks. I found it very confusing and I wondered how others in my place would have got on.

I then asked the new nurse when my next doses of panadol and tramadol were due. "10am" I was told. I asked what the current time was - "4 minutes to 10" was the response. I asked "given that it will take at least one hour before I arrive home and get the prescription made up - perhaps you could give me my meds now before I leave?" She looked very surprised and couldn't think of a reason to refuse. So off I eventually clomped with my crutches, medicated and ready to hit the road, jack.

I managed to lever my leg into the car and we headed home. Lewis was pleased to see me. 


My leg is swollen and bloated like a boiled sausage.  I am parked up in a Lazyboy chair covered by ice packs. I have a range of exercises to do 4 times a day. On 12 Feb I get my 60 staples removed and then I can start on more intensive physiotherapist and bike riding at the gym.

It is nice to be home. And it was a lovely treat to come home to a fabulous bowl of cool and spicy gazpacho soup made by our friends Ruth and Colin. They have also whipped up a hot pot for our dinner. So kind.

It seems that so much has happened in a very quick timeframe. I am delighted with progress and I feel blessed to be surrounded by lovely family and friends - and Lewis!

No comments:

Post a Comment